Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Last Dragon

This week we read a story called "The Last Dragon". In addition to reading the story we spent some time studying about dragons. We looked at the role they play in the Chinese culture as well as various other cultures. I put at this information into a PowerPoint, which the students loved! I found a mosaic dragon picture online and thought it would be cute for my students to do. So...we created our own mosaic dragon. The students loved this activity and I will definitely do it again next year!


We started by printing out various pictures of dragons for inspiration.


The students then sketched their own dragons

Then they glued construction paper "tiles" to the sketch to give their dragons scales. I had pre cut a bunch of squares but the students cut them to size as needed.




The last step in this project was each student wrote a short story about their dragon based on the information they had learned this week. They had to include things such where the dragon lives, the color of the dragon, and characteristics of that dragon.

2 comments:

Michelle Griffo said...

There is such a difference between kinder art and 4th grade! I love the dragon art!

Michelle
Apples and ABC's

Molly Maloy said...

These turned out really cute! Do you use Houghton Mifflin? Our school uses that program, but I have been trying out Daily 5 and CAFE this year so we have only read a handful of the stories out of the book, but I know this is one of the stories!

Molly
Lessons with Laughter

Post a Comment